In order to view PDF files within the single patent results, you must have the Adobe viewer installed on your browser. Follow the steps below depending on what browser you are using.
- Open a new browser tab and Download the "PDF Plugin for Firefox" plugin (here).
- Click "Add to Firefox"
- Click "Install Now"
- Once the plugin is finished downloading, restart your browser by clicking "Restart Firefox" on the download dialog box
Google Chrome Popups
By default, Google Chrome has strict popup blocking settings. When searching for "Both" Patents and Publications on the Patent search page, the Publication results appear in a new window which is often blocked by Google Chrome by default. In order to allow this window to open and see the Publication results you will need to change your settings.
- Enter your Google Chrome preferences/options. Chrome => Preferences
- Select the "Under the Hood" tab
- Click "Content Settings..."
- Click to "Pop-Ups" section on the left
- Change the setting to "Allow all sites to show pop-ups"
- Exit your settings. They should save automatically.
Performing these steps will allow PTODirect to display Patent results in the current window and Publication results in a new window. If you prefer not to allow all sites to show pop-ups, just remember to search patents and publications separately.